Sunday, November 1, 2015

Interview with Gaz d.j of Darth Jedi Metal Show & The Wastelands radio shows and owner of Ancient Visionz blog.done on 11-1-15

Here  is  a  new   interview  with  my  good  friend  Gaz  who  does two  radio-shows  on  Brutal  Existence Radio the  one  on  Mondays  is   mainly  Metal  styles  and the  other  one  Sat.  is  a  punk/h.c  with  some  metal  thrown in.Just  read the   interview  and  send  Gaz a  email  if you  are   interested in  being  played  on his  show.
Regards
Patrick






Interview  with Visionz of Ancient Visionz, Darth Jedi Metal Show & The Wastelands radio shows, & Planet X Records  done by  Patrick  







1.Hello  Gaz   how   is  life  going  in  the  U.K?  please  introduce  yourself  to   the  readers?

Hey Pat. Its going good man. I remember answering this interview way back last yr, but things got so crazy with the label, projects, and shows that I had to put it on hold. I was really hyper too as I'd just watched the Winter X Games, which is just rad, and man Summer X Games starts in Austin, Texas in 5 days so I'm stoked & hyper again! Safe! lol Since I last looked at this I've watched the Summer X Games, which had the same effect lol.

 LOL also things changed again since last answering the interview so I guess I can say the new NBA season has just started, which is boss.

For the readers I'm into music, movies, and I guess add in some geek culture & ya that's it man.

Since I last looked at the interview lol Ungovernable Resistance and the name Resistance are now no more. I closed both the site and email address last week. It wasn't an easy decision, but the right one. I'd grown uncomfortable with particular elements latching on to the site/show that were using the name to mean something else. Despite my efforts to change the lay out of the site and take the shows in a new direction i.e. not name them Ungovernable Resistance, it did not seem to get the point across to those people man.

The blatant mission statement kinda said that the site and name were just the title of a radio show. That is all UR ever was man. It was just the name of a punk/hc radio show lol, which later expanded into other areas of music and interests such as movies etc. So I wanted to move forward and use a name which was more inclusive for people so it didn't lead to any misinterpretations or attract overly elitist music fans that get very over zealous with people. I don't like that kind of behavior.

So the new name and site are called Ancient Visionz, which cannot be taken to mean anything else, and can represent any music. Punk, Metal, Hip Hop, Geekdom, sci fi, & movies. They are all there with that name and something I'm more comfortable with. Its much more welcoming. My radio shows remain, but there is no reference too or the name Ungovernable Resistance. The site and name are no more. I now go as Visionz and Ancient Visionz.

The new site is here http://ancientvisionz.blogspot.co.uk/

Email contact: ancientvisionz@gmail.com






2.Gaz   I  have  known  you  for  many  years  now  and  must say  you  are  one of the   most  open-minded   music  fans  I  know   have  you  always  been  open  to  new  bands/genres?  Who  were some  of  your  favorite  bands/artists  growing  up?  Who  are  some  of  your  current  favorites?

Yo thx man, but I did get in a bad mindset when i first got into death metal and thought it was the law and nothing else was real. I wish I'd had the experience I have now when first doing radio shows when I got into that scene, but I moved forward and got back to 'me'. I grew up on nu metal stuff mainly and I still like some of the bands to this day even though I know some suck, but I wouldn't have discovered metal if not for the likes of Chimaira, Lamb of God, and so on. My mom used to play mo town, blues, rock, metal, folk music, and stuff such as that so I was around many different styles so I was encouraged to be open and explore/discover various sounds. I also think that when ya involved in various scenes outside of punk & metal, and getting away from bad elements it helps open you up man. I'm fortunate I've learned this and not stay on the path like I see with some people who could be my Dad, Uncle or whatever calling people posers & stuff. Its stupid behavior and pretty dumb tbh.

Metal led to punk/hc, and from punk/hc I discovered underground hip hop. Those 3 scenes are what I listen to the most, but I do like other music and will be open to most things. There is only one genre of music that I cannot abide man, and the funny thing is I've heard many people say this in metal, punk, & hip hop, and its country music. Ughhh ughh ughhh is all I have to say so moving on lol.

I just love music and there is so much out there for us to enjoy from all kinds of music, which is kinda funny when i just stated my feelings on country lol, but there is. Music, movies, & nerd stuff are what I'm passionate about Pat so I always enjoy learning and discovering new stuff. I think it helps us stay open and be far more rounded as people. Its boring if you only like one scene or just have that to talk about. Its always cool to have a variety of interests and the same with music & our friends.

Current favorite: LOL this as its about coffee tables and hilarious. "Come be my coffee table & I'll be your sofa".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_lyJt2T3GY
Also Ritual Control (hc) & a boss crust/hc punk band called Propaganda Del Odio from Chile. 

Ok man I'll try a random list, but there are just so many. The only bad about liking so much stuff from all scenes is you can fall behind man as you don't just follow one scene, but here you go dude until I feel lazy:

Auld Corn Brigade (celtic punk), Kilmaine Saints (celtic punk), The Mahones (celtic punk), Foreseen (crossover), Germ Bomb (metal punk, crossover), Nuclear Death Terror (kang/crust/d-beat), driller killer (kang/crust/metal punk), hellshock (crust), killbite (crust), per capita (stench), Auralskit (d-beat), Insidious Process (d-beat/crust), deadly reign (crust), pure disgust (hc punk), all out war (metallic hc/nyhc), permanent ruin (hc/hc punk), naysayer (nyhc), all for nothing (hc), harm done (hc), RAD(US) (hc), raw justice (HC),  rude awakening (hc), spine (hc), the rival mob (hc), to the point (hc), violent reaction (hc), enabler (metallic hc), knuckledust (hc/hc punk/london hc), drug control (hc), disxease (hc), desperate measures (hc), mindset (hc), truth (hc), power is poison (punk), kicker (punk), kansalatelletomattus (punk), afgrund (crust grind). I like most stuff from punk/hc genres man so everything from hc, punk, d-beat, grind, crust, pv/fastcore, crossover, stench, & so on man.

Jungle Rot. I like these guys a lot. Kinda got a punk edge to them in lyrics/feel and I like the way they continue forward. Fu Man Chu who are an awesome band. I really enjoy them. Timeworn (members from various crust punk bands), but they kinda do a post apoc dark metalish vibe. Its different so it draws me in. Very good music that belongs in a futuristic sci fi movie with cyborgs roaming around. Ade (awesome romano dm, fans of all things ancient will enjoy them & its different to the usual themes.

killah priest (underground hip hop), caxton press (underground hip hop), sick since (underground hip hop), si-klon (meso american & mayan themed underground hip hop), canibus (uderground hip hop),  dr creep (underground hip hop), & so so many more man.

I get very geeky for anything themed on futuristic sci fi themes, post apoc, but the fallout/mad max kinda stuff.  I'm open to giving most stuff a try or exploring it, and discovering the ug as every music has an ug. I even like some of the mainstream bands, but i'm picky with which.

I mostly listen to punk/hc, underground hip hop,  metal, and some reggae, but I'm passionate about music as a whole, and its a pity that popular music is drowning in way too much reality tv garbage from these wack shows so the few genuine good artists/bands that make it through can be forgotten about. The singers man can't hit the high notes or just wail or repeat a deep voiced ohhhh ohhh chorus. Its pretty much bar singers on tv at best with a coliseum of idiots cheering the destruction of famous songs lol. 

You know what i'd like to see on tv man is when these manufactured puppets come into a tv studio to promote their latest album, and are greeted by the excited host (sarcastically said), and he/she then says 'oh ty for coming in. On the way to work this morning I was listening to ya album in the car'. The wack singer then replies with "oh really what did u think?". Usually the tv host then proceeds to say how awesome the album is and its the best thing they heard since last Tuesday or whatever. LOL man can u imagine mr or ms tv dude/dudette then replies with "its crap I threw it out the car window, and now I'm going for coffee, commercials plz".
3. What  got  you    interested  in  doing  a radio show?

I wanted to help the music man and share my passion for it with other people, but also try to be entertaining for people. I'm a silly excitable person lol.
4. Would  you   have  any   advice  for   someone  who  is  thinking  of  trying  their   hand  at  being  a  D.J? 

Yeah man for sure. Think of what is your favorite genre of music or if its more than one genre can you mix them together? It doesn't have to be metal or punk as there is an underground in all forms of music. Plan an idea of what you want to do with a show, and how it will represent the music and you. For example you may wish to do a mixed variety of unsigned music from hip hop, metal to reggae or a movie chat show or sports & metal, and so on. Once you have this nailed then its a name for ya show & my advice is try to be different than the usual extreme mosh names.

Then start searching for a station, but take ya time and explore what is available. There are enough options so its important to make the right decision, and join a team where they have the right principles, ethics, morals, and aren't just doing it for popularity & egos. There is a certain level of trial and error you learn over time & I've made some stupid decisions, and like all of us wish I could have done some things different man, but the real person learns from it man, and helps others not make the same mistakes.

 Enjoy it and be prepared to devote the necessary time as you will learn to multi task very quickly, especially if you are in more than one scene where it never stops lol. Try not to take on too much and get burnt out, which I've done many times. Its easier said than done as its a passion, but I guess just try to balance everything would be the best solution.

Be ya self and evolve, adapt when you need too and keep going. Have fun and surround you're self with the right people. 1 love.
5 What  styles   of  music  do  you   play  on  your   shows?   Where  can  labels,bands  send  you   music  to  play? Oh man its very vast and the 2 music shows I do are very different. The Monday metal show is themed around my love of SW and I'm a boss geek (yes I took my boss nerd exams to reach the status of supreme bosso nerdo). However, the Darth Jedi Metal show also has a strong promo feel to it as I play many new promos and bands for the audience on the station, but I know I'm helping people with both bringing in new music and turning people on to bands so its a very rewarding show.  Its not a show that is for my own personal taste, but more about helping bands. I don't really talk much on this show as there is so much to play so I mainly stream very long sets.

The Darth Jedi (lols) edition features: DM, Doom, Desert Rock, Thrash, Brutal DM, Slam, Old School DM, Blackened DM,  melo death, tech/prog & oriental DM, Death Thrash, Speed, some Sludge, sometimes Blues, Traditional Metal, and even stuff such as Viking/Folk metal, and dude if it works for the station I'll play it.

I feature some bands/music I don't like, but this show is known for focusing more on promos. I stress it doesn't matter whether I enjoy all the music as its about opening people up to an array of styles. I play and have played all of the above. As I said man its extremely rewarding as I know some people listen just to see what's going to be played or what new promos I've been sent for that week. It kinda developed into this all by itself. It airs every Monday 1pm-5pm Eastern (US) on Brutal Existence Radio, and I do want to thank the many promotion companies and bands that email me every week with new material to play. Its highly appreciated.  

If anyone wants to be featured just email ancientvisionz@gmail.com
The other show I do I'll talk about it in the next question man.
6.Besides  your  metal  show   you  are  going  to  move  your  punk,grind  show  to  BER when  will  this  be  happening? Lol as its been a while since I looked at the interview the punk show moved some time ago. Its the original edition and longest running show from my former Ungovernable Resistance site, but there have been several changes and evolutions recently so its not just raging grindcore, which you know I love along with hardcore. I'd prob say it moved maybe 2yrs ago, and its centralized all my music shows in one place so it made much more sense, and is less confusing for people & myself! lol.

I tried a 'Stressed Out' theme for the show not long after it had moved, and this is because I'm a silly person & enjoy well being 'silly'. It was kinda think of a stressed out office dude screaming or something and raging at his desk popping blood vessels everywhere so it was angry hc punk/hc, and grind with a shouty silly person. It didn't quite work so I took some time to think of well how I can adapt and evolve the punk show again so it can progress?

This is something I always do with shows when necessary. If I need to change/adapt/evolve them then I will. I looked at my audience, my own interests in things (not just music) & came up with an idea for a show themed around a post apocalyptic future influenced by Fallout, Mad Max, and Judge Dredd. All post apoc movies/games/comics tbh lol. I can honestly say its the best idea I've had and its my favorite show. The show is called 'The Wastelands', which yes is an obvious and very common factor in anything post apoc, but its very different to the Darth Jedi show. Ya some of the same music can be on the show such as DM, but its a got whole feel of its own. I host the show as 'The Wanderer' who travels the wastes upon the cursed earth so the character is based upon someone of that description. I present stories and adventures from the wastes with mosh lol. Ya man in my element as a geek with this show as I stream from various undisclosed locations throughout the wastelands.

Ok enough nerding & on to what music is featured. Its a hybrid show fusing punk & metal together, which goes with the evolution of the former & now defunct UR punk/hc edition into 'The Wastelands'.  I play Crust, HC Punk, DM, Thrash, Brutal DM, Crossover, HC, NYHC, Metallic HC, Anarcho Punk, Grindcore, Crust Grind, Grind Violence, PV/Fastcore, Slam, Old School DM, Sludge (if its fast paced with boss riffage), D-Beat, Beatdown HC, Folk/Celtic Punk, Speed Metal, Metal Punk, Traditional Heavy Metal (Motorhead/NWOBHM influenced), Stench, and punk.
7.Besides  your  two  musical  shows  you  and your  co-host V.X  do  a  Sunday  talk  show  through  PXR  radio   when  did  this  come  to  be?Its been around for a few yrs and it started by accident with VX co hosting random editions of the former UR show with me where we played ug hip hop, punk, and metal, but would discuss movies, history, and general things that were happening in the world.

 We then developed PX Radio as we call it to do more of the same, but also provide updates and news on what was happening with our label Planet X Records. We would chat about new releases, forth coming tracks/albums and the concepts behind them etc, which is an important aspect with underground hip hop. Later we started to interview guests from film and music, but the emphasis is now concentrating much more on film and areas of interest than music. I talk about this more in one of the questions below. Atm the show is in its off season and we are currently working out some tech issues before the new season returns. 
8. it is  a  show  that  features  not only  musical  bands and  labels  but  also   independent   movie  actors,actresses  and  directors etc..  Who   have  been  some  of your  favorite  guests  over the  last  few  years?

Incredibly difficult to answer. In no particular order it would be: John Hyams (director of universal soldier 3 & 4, Z Nation), Loren (Average Superstar Films), Sick Since (UG Hip Hop), Presto (UG Hip Hop), M-Eighty (UG Hip Hop), War Wraiths (American Civil War documentary movie), Temple of Void (death/doom), Septekh (death/thrash), John Barber (rip brother, drummer from Triangle Fire), and man there are many more.  We always try to get guests to chat about other interests too so its not the usual interview as it can get boring for both hosts and artists so its cool to discuss movies, history etc. We've had bands on and chatted about movies for 3 hrs lol or a particular period in history, and they are very popular shows. This is probably due to the fact its reminding people that we are all the same and have more in common than we realize.
9.I  know  the  new  season   has  begun  but  are  you  all  looking for  new  guests  to  come  on the  show?  where  can  people  who  might  want  to  get  on the  show  get  in  contact  with you  guys?

Umm the season kinda started and finished since I last looked at this lol. But season 9 or 10 will start soon when some tech issues are worked out, but we've had new albums to focus on as many of the guys released new music as we are a label and not just a chat radio show.  They can email me @ ancientvisionz@gmail.com, but we are drastically reducing the music guests to focus on movies, history, the paranormal, which are usually more popular shows.

. PXR has moved more into the indie film scene so our focus is going to be much more on movies and those areas mentioned
10.Gaz   I know  you  are  also  a   huge  movie  buff  as  well as  music.  When  did you get  into  movies?  What  are  some  of your    all-time  favorite  movies  of   all-time?  Do  you   have  a specific  genre  you  like  the  most  or doo you  watch   a  variety  ?Yo man I'm a huge geek. Seriously. Movies are my next passion outside of music so I go to see as many movies as I can. I also watch both mainstream and independent film & its a scene I'm greatly interested in man. I've probably seen every movie release this yr so far lol, and there aren't many wack sci fi channel movies I haven't watched lol. We have a channel here called the 'horror channel', which does show some some safe independent movies too. I'm going to recommend one called 'Orc Wars', which is hilarious. Its got a dude fighting orcs, a demoness, and a dragon with modern day weaponry lol.

I read/watch film reviews and just love to know whats happening in movies. The movie theater is special man as its escapism from all the evil that goes on in this world, and if it ever vanished people would miss it man. Its just not the same watching a movie on a small screen & ok we can open another interview alone on theater prices, but people are happy to spend so much on getting drunk & falling on the floor whilst vomiting so I want to watch a movie how it should be viewed. But, I do recognize and agree that the pricing needs to be more balanced so it can get people going again. I also think the same applies to live shows, and especially festivals who are so greedy man.

Yeah I do have 2 particular favorite genres which are sci fi and post apocalyptic. Those genres have always fascinated me and I'm stoked about Fallout 4 coming soon, which is a post apoc action/rpg game, which will be one of my faves. I do like some movies set in the ancient past and action movies, but I'm generally open to watch anything as long as they aren't butt wack horror movies such as The Visit & Unfriended etc. As already mentioned or probably somewhere I've seen every movie release so far more or less lol, and I'll watch a variety outside of my preferences man. I kinda have the same attitude with movies as I do with music, which is to be open outside of my comfort zone so I'll give most stuff a try man.

Favorite movies of all time? Force Awakens, Rogue One, Episode 8, Episode 9. I really hope so lol. Man this is tough. So many man both major and indie. There are just too many Pat. I watch so many movies its insane lol. Although so far from recent releases I'd say Fast and Furious 7 for the stunts alone, then Mad Max Beyond Fury Road as that was just such a rad movie, especially when you read about the scale of the crew involved, and the stunt sequences they filmed for the movie. A labor of work, which really delivered. The Revenant due for release soon looks safe. 

I was raised on movies man and something I've just always liked along with music so I guess that's it man. I want to send a shout to my buddy Loren at Average Superstar Films who are currently filming a new movie called Dark Military, which they are all working hard on atm. For people in the punk/hc scene peep Loren's documentary on Pennsylvania Hardcore from its inception to present day. There are some awesome interviews featured and Randy from Lamb of God also makes an appearance, which is interesting as they came from the hc scene and were very influenced by the music. They are a very famous and mainstream band, but they are kinda one of those bands that bridge the gap between mainstream and underground.

Ron Perlman is a good example of someone that does major movies, but also still actively supports the independent film community, and takes roles in independent films too. Its a good way of bridging the scenes, but also saying hey you can remain grounded and do things the right way.

Oh & in random news Pat I was just saying to a friend could you imagine some muscle man in a movie theater taking up 7 rows as he's a lil wide and during the movie a mini robot pops up from the row in front of him with a grin on its face saying to him "its garbage" then he just vanishes.

  LOL Hey Pat I could have said I'm a sci fi nerd so guess. That would cover it lol.
11.Who   are  some  of  your   favorite  actors  and  actresses?

This is a good question man & a tough one.  I guess man it would be Denzel Washington, Liam Neeson, Matt Damon, Samuel L Jackson, and Gary Oldman. Other actors who are consistent: Charlize Theron has turned in some rad performances, and is a candidate for one of the best actresses around atm. I thought she was the more interesting character in Mad Max Beyond Fury Road, which is one of the best releases of 2015.

Christian Bale, Michael Fassbender (Assassins Creed movie currently filming), Ron Perlman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Johnny Depp, Karl Urban, Charlize Theron has played some good roles, and there are many more. Atm we do have an influx of wack in Hollywood, but there is a quite a solid list we could come up with. The problem is an over saturation of reboots and remakes. Some are rad and I support, but others are meh. Marvel needs to start to deliver on some of its movies or people will grow tired of super heroes so we need to stream line them just a lil and focus on delivering more quality, and not polished bottles of turds. Whilst on that subject one of the winners of turd of the year has to be Terminator Genesys. Butt, total butt. Butt, butt, butt, & butt. Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome though.
12.When  not working on  the  next  show  or  watching  movies   what  do  you   enjoy  doing  in  your   spare  time?

 Yo I like to watch soccer/basketball, extreme sports such as snowboarding & the X Games, and TNA wrestling, but sadly its become butt. There are a few teams I support and follow such as Arsenal, Boston Celtics, US Men's national soccer team, Washington Capitals. I read all the latest news on movies, sci fi series, and also like to watch documentaries on underground music especially music that originates from the streets, but also enjoy solid shows/series that aren't some manufactured reality tv garbage or people trying to hit high notes whilst they destroy famous songs on wack pop contests. As I'm a geek I watch sci fi shows and movies whenever I can, & as you know ya self I enjoy discussing them with friends both on & offline. At the label we are all big movie fans so its a constant topic with us all.

2015 and 2016 are set to become the biggest yrs for movie releases, and its a good time to be a geek if I hadn't mentioned that earlier. Captain America Civil War in 2016, which should be better than the Lamevengers Age of Buttron, which was the disappointment of the summer. Such a butt movie. Star Wars Episode 7 The Force Awakens, which oh man its time for the force! I generally like to support the film community both major and independent as it something I'm passionate about outside of music, and I do what I can to help. For fellow geeks peep the Flash TV show, which is probably the best comic book TV show there is atm.
13.Thanks  a   million  gaz  for   taking  the  time  to  fill  this  interview    out. Do  you    have  any  final  comments  for  the   readers?I'd like to say ty for reading and ty to you Pat for the interview & what you do to help music man. If I can help anyone or your interested in the music I play on the shows or would like to discuss movies on our chat show then yw to get in touch. Don't forget SW episode 7 The Force Awakens is out soon. Thanks and peace to all the bands, pr companies, people from all scenes that help me with what I do and support me. 1 love. 1.

Also just to remind the readers that my new site & email are:  ancientvisionz@gmail.com & http://ancientvisionz.blogspot.co.uk/
My 2 music shows are The Wastelands (punk/metal) Saturday's @ 2pm-6pm Eastern (US) & Darth Jedi Metal Show 1pm-5pm Eastern (US). Both are live on Brutal Existence Radio with many other shows.

http://brutalexistenceradio.moonfruit.com/