Sunday, November 15, 2015

Interview with NYX done by Patrick on 11-15-15

Hails
Here  is  a  interview  with  the  new  German duo  NYX   that  recently  released their  debut  cd  "Home"  through  the   mighty  Agonia  Rec.  so  take  a few  minutes   and  read  the  interview  with  this  great  new  band   and  be  sure  to  buy  the  new  release  Home.
Regards
Patrick




Interview   with  NYX   done  by   Patrick



1.Hello  when  did  you  two  first  meet? Was  it   long  before  you  all  formed  NYX.?


Blitz: Hello! Oh, we were discussing that lately. I think it was at the end of 2009 or beginning of 2010. Back then we were searching for a new guitarist for our previous band and Vinterbarn joined. So we got to know throught our former band. We found out that we can work together pretty well. It felt really natural that we created a vision together of what we wanted to do and in 2011 we formed our own project. That's almost exactely 4 years ago now. 






2.How  did  you  all  choose the  name  of the  band  NYX.?Does   it  have  a special  meaning?  For  the  readers   who  have  never  heard  your   music  how  would you  best  describe  it?



Blitz: Nyx is the greek goddess of the night. Born from chaos. We chose that name because we think it fits. I think our music is the result of something that is born from chaos. We try not to put any boundaries on what we are doing. We always want to feel free to do what we want. So when we started we were not thinking about what kind of music or what genre we want to play. We were practically doing what we felt like and what we had to do. Lately we saw that a lot of people describe it as raw black metal. We ourselves would rather call it something inbetween black metal and extreme metal. 





3. NYX.  is  getting  ready  to  release  the  debut  cd   "Home"  through  Agonia Rec.  how   long  did  it  take  you  two  to  write  and records  these  songs? Do  you both  write the  music  or does  one  member  usually  write  everything?


Vinterbarn: It took about 10 months to write the music and we develop it all step by step together. Then we had 12 days at the studio to record everything. But after that it took 2 year until it was released now (the recording took place in 2013) as we had to find a label and arrange everything with them. 




4.Who    usually   writes  the  lyrics for  the  band.What  are  some  subjects  you  all  write  about?


Blitz: We both do that. We work pretty close together in writing lyrics. For the album there was the idea of what the whole lyrical concept is about. This so called inner home. And we were developing the lyrics around that. It's a longing and a searching for a place within yourself that goes really deep and dark. 




5.I  believe  NYX  is  a  two  woman  band   have you  all discussed  adding  new  members for  a  full  band  or  do  you   prefer to  work  as a two piece?


Blitz: No, we already feel like a full band. For live we have a session-bassplayer with us. But to work on music and ideas we are good with the two of us. 


6.NYX  comes  out  of  the  German  metal  scen  what  is  your   opinion  of  Germany's  metal  scene?


Vinterbarn: When we are abroad, people tell us, Germany has a strong metal scene with many gig-locations. For me it’s hard to judge, but lately I saw many of that live music-locations vanishing.




7.Who  are  some  of  your  all-time  favorite  german  bands?  Are  their  any  new   bands  you  feel  the  readers  should  check  out?


Vinterbarn: If I listen to music, I don’t care whether it’s German or Black Metal or Metal. I don’t think among my alltime faves is a German band. But I lately discovered Mantar. They happen to be German and think they’re definitely worth checking out.


Blitz: All-time favorite german bands is a difficult term for me as well. My first look doesn't go to what country the band comes from but well, with some you definitely know. Helrunar I like a lot since years. And also Kreator somehow. And yes, Mantar are definitely worth checking! As well as our colleagues Hyems.




8.Besides  NYX  are  either  of  you   currently  working  with  any  other   bands  or  solo projects?


Vinterbarn: I do some other projects from time to time. But there’s no relevance for NYX here.





9.Blitz  you  handle  the  drums  for  the  band  when  did you become  interested  in  playing  the  drums? Are you  self taught  or  did you  take  lessons  when  first  starting  out?


Blitz: It was always the only instrument I wanted to play. It took some time to convince my mum of that (laughs) but then I started to play pretty early. I can't remember anymore at what age. I think somewhen between 11 and 12. But no warranty for that. Yes, I took some drum lessons in a music shool at the beginning. Later I taught some things myself.




10.Who  are  some  of your   influences/favorite  drummers?  Besides  the  drums  do  you  currently   play  any  other   instruments?


Blitz: That's a difficult question for me. I don't know if any specific drummers influenced me or if I have any favorites. Of couse you are influenced by the stuff you are listening to. But I never had any specific drummers I followed. There are a lot of really good and fantastic drummers but I'm far away from that. No I don't play any other instruments for  the moment. 




11.Vinterbarn  you   handle the   guitars for  the  band  at  what  age  did you  start  playing  the  guitars?Are  you  self taught  or  did  you  take  lessons  when  first   learning?


Vinterbarn: I started with 17. Rather late, especially coming from a musicians-family. But then I took lessons and even studied music with e-guitar as main-subject.




12.Who  are  some  of your   influences and  favorite   guitarists?



Vinterbarn: I can’t tell about influences as I learned lots of different songs and styles and probably they all influenced me somehow, but rather subconsciously. I hope I sound mostly like myself and not like anyone else actually. Mattias Eklundh is cool and I visited one of his summer workshops, but I’m far from playing or even trying to play like him. 





13. Vinterbarn   Besides  the  guitars   you  also  handle  the  vocals  when did you  start  singing and  screaming? Do  you  do   anything  special  to   keep your  throat  and voice  healthy?


Vinterbarn: No, that’s not completely right. We both scream, but I rather do backing-screams and clean-vocs. Most screamed parts are Blitz‘s  business. And hm… she smokes a lot to keep her voice healthy (laughs) and I do that at least at some rehearsals. I did a bit of singing along with my guitarplaying always and screaming was just started for Nyx. Blitz did it the first time when we started to write for „Home“ at the end of 2012 and I tried it some months later then as well.




14.Who  are  some of your   favorite  vocalists?

Vinterbarn: Björk, Nocturno Culto, Peter Tätgren, Rob Flynn, Jeff Walker, Chad Gray, Tim Yatras, Dave Grohl, Lizzy Plapinger, Karin Dreijer Andersson. I like it in general when instrumentalists sing, cause they do it often in a very intuitive, natural way with their playing.


Blitz: Quorthon, Peter Tätgren, Peter Steele, Dave Grohl, A.A. Nemtheanga, Chelsea Wolfe and Hekte Zaren, she is amazing for me! She really takes you to other spheres with her art.




15.Thank you   Blitz and    Vinterbarn  for   taking  the  time  to  fill  this   interview  out.Do  you  two  have   any  final  comments  for  the  readers?


Blitz: Thanks back to you and say "Hi" to the Ether-Peter, guys.


                                                       Label    Contact
                                                 https://www.agoniarecords.com/