Thursday, July 14, 2016

Finland's Aegeon interview conducted by Patrick on 7-14-16

Hails
Here   is  a  new  interview  with  the  Finnish  atmospheric  black  metal  band  Aegeon.Who  talk  about  the  new  cd  "Devouring The  Sun"   and  about  the  bands  future  as  well  as the  Finnish  black  metal  scene.
Regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com
https://plus.google.com/110515263288050247357/posts?hl=en
https://twitter.com/PDeathrasher





Interview  with  Lord  Aegeon  vocals  and  all  instruments  for   Aegeon  done  by   Patrick





1.Hails  Lord  Aegeon    when  did  you  first  get  the  idea  to  start    Aegeon?  How  did  you  choose  the  name  for  this  band?
 
Hails Patrick! I started Aegeon in 2010. The whole process of starting was originally kind of a random act. I had several lyrics written in a shell and I thought that maybe I should try to put the lyrics to use. So I tried to compose the songs as depressive as the lyrics were and the demo "portals" was made. 
Name Aegeon derives from Greek mythology. Aegeon is a sea monster with hundred arms and many names. He is also called Briareos and his names have several writing forms on literature. Aegeon was a suitable name because I've always been interested in mythologies and tales. For me the name also represents the time in Europe before christianity and the other religions of the mediterranean area nowadays.
 
 
 
2.  Lord  Aegeon    you  are  getting  ready  to  release  the  second  full-length  cd   "Devouring  The  Sun"  through  Elegy  Rec.  how  did  you  come  in  contact   with this  great   label?
 
 
After releasing an EP  Entrance to the Gardens of Death in 2012 I started to write some songs for the next release. When the time was right I contacted some labels. Elegy liked what he heard and we begun the work with the Aegeon's debut album Nocturnal Glorification.
 
 
 
3.How  long  did  it  take  you  to  write  the  music  for the   new  songs  on  "Devouring  The  Sun"  ?And  which  usually  comes  first  the   music  or  the  lyrics?
 
 
I started writing Devouring the Sun in 2014, some time before our first album Nocturnal Glorification was even released.
Usually I've had lyrics ready and I've just tried to make music sound like the mood of the lyrics. However this time I made one exception. The 3rd track of the new album entitled Art of the Terminal Metamorphosis has all guitar riffs written by Aegeon's additional guitarist Khakh so I wrote the lyrics for the song afterwards to get the lyrics the right feeling what the song is about.
 
 
 
4.Where  do  you  usually  draw   inspiration  for  the  lyrics  and  what  are  some  topics  you  wrote  about  on  the  new  cd?
 
 
The inspiration might come from visual art or nature, it can also come clear on some place or just on a specific moment. Lyrics on Devouring the Sun deal with anti-christian themes. Album has poems dealing with darkness between the awareness and unconciousness, death and witchcraft and some misanthropic apocalyptic desires and visions.
 
 
 
5.  Lord  Aegeon    you   handle  the  vocals  for the  band  when  did you  first  start  singing and screaming? Do  you  do  anything  special  to  keep  your  throat  and  voice  healthy?
 
 
When first time I did bm-vocals... It was   a really long ago. However I also had really long pause on doing anything with music but just listening before starting Aegeon, so I feel I kinda had to start all over again when I started the band.
I have no healty tricks for voice. Maybe alcohol strong enough to disinfect the sore throat after the session. Maybe if Aegeon would do a tour some day I would have to come up with something.
 
 
 
 
6.Besides  the  vocals  you  also   handle  the   instruments  when  did you  become  interested   in  writing  and  playing  instruments? What  were  some  of  the  first   instruments  you   learned  how  to  play?  When  first  starting  out  did you take  lessons  or  are  you  self taught?

Guitar was the first instrument. Later I also learned to play drums and some keys. Bass I really never did learn to play it just came by itself with guitar. I've never taken any lessons for any instruments
 
 
 
7.Are  their   any instruments  that  you  would  like  to   learn  to  play  soon?
 
Not really at this point. I'd rather strenghten the old skills.
 
 
 
 
8.Has      Aegeon   ever   played  "live"   or  do  you  prefer to  keep  this  a  studio  only  band?
 
 
Aegeon has not played and propably never will play live because I have no intentions of gathering a full band around me. It would take a lots of musical compromises and sacrifices. I'd rather keep it this way and compose the most of the music myself. When thinking about it, I also don't have any desire for the live performances. Atleast at the moment.
 
 
 
 
 
9.   Aegeon  comes  out  of  the  Finnish   black  metal  scene   what  is  your  opinion  of Finland's   black  metal?
 

 Finland has and has always had a really strong black metal scene. I wish I had more time to explore all the Finnish bands out there. still somehow I don't feel like belonging in Finnish black metal scene. I've not been very active in the scene since the days of tape trading in mid 90's, so I really don't have much new band contacts or contacts to the whole scene in general in Finland.
 
 
 
10.Who   are  your  all-time  favorite  Finnish  bands?  Are  their  any  new  bands  you  feel  the  readers  should  watch   out  for?
 
Beherit was my first touch in finnish black metal and black metal in general. I still mostly listen the older stuff what I used to listen long ago. I don't unfortunately have any new bands to introduce and since Aegeon is quite new band in Finnish scene I'd rather not introduce any band as "new Finnish band".
 
 
 
 
 
11.Besides   bands   are  their   any  good  labels  or  distro's   you  can  recommend  to  the  readers?
 
 
Since I haven't really had time to explore the new music for a long time I can't really answer this. Besided I've always bought my records from abroad.
 
 
 
12.Besides   working  in    Aegeon   are  you   currently  working  with  any  other  bands  or  projects  at  this  time?
 
 
I have some projects of course but nothing really worth to mention at the time. Everything still related to black metal the way or another.
 
 
 
 
 
13.When  not  working  on  new  music  or  band  business   what  do   you  like  to  do  in your  free  time?
 
Travelling and walking in the nature, exploring ancient sacred places and old graveyards, photoshooting and working with graphics. Of course I have also combined these things to making record.
 
 
 
14.Thank  you   Lord  Aegeon   for  taking  the  time  to  fill  this  interview  out  do  you   have  any  final   words  for  the  readers?
 
 
 
Thank you for the interview. I will start creating music again at autumn when darkness has devoured the sun again here in the North. I think anyone mixed-up with the black metal should give a try to our new album Devouring the Sun.
 
                                                                 Band   Contact
                                                         https://www.facebook.com/aegeon666
                                                                 Label   Contact
                                                            http://www.elegyrecords.org/