Saturday, January 28, 2017

Old-School death metal band Scalpture done by Patrick posted on 1-28-17


Hello
Here  is  a  new  interview  done  with  the  German  old-school  band  Scalpture  who  have  released  their  debut  cd "Panzerdoktrine  through  Final  Gate  Rec.  so  if you  are  a  fan  of  well executed  and  performed  old-school  death  then  be  sure  to  pick up  a  copy  of  Scalpture's  debut  today.
Regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com




Interview  with  Thorsten   vocalist  of  Scalpture   done  by  Patrick


1.Hello  please  introduce  yourself  to the  readers? At  what  age  did you  discover  metal  music  and  who  were  the  first  bands  you  listened to?

Hey Patrick!  My name is Thorsten (25) from Bielefeld, Germany and,  in this case singer of Scalpture! I think I started listening to metal when I was about 13. Besides some German hard rock bands my first encounters were with the classics like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Blind Guardian and (not so classic) Totenmond. The last one is a German band and without being able to describe their style they are just fucking sick!



2.When  did you  first  meet  the   other  members  of  the  band?And  who  came  up  with    Scalpture    as  the  bands name?

The three other founders of our band and me were all living in a rather small town named Detmold. I was about seventeen and was keen to sing in a Death Metal band since I became a big fan of Bolt Thrower and many other bands. Felix and I were friends for a while then and he was already a great guitarist at that time. After a while and a few drinks he finally admit to give the whole idea a try. Anselm admit to play bass shortly after and knew Max from school for the drums.


3.What  is  the  current  line-up   for  the  band and  for  the  readers  who  have  never  heard   Scalpture's  music  how  would  you  best  describe  it?

At the moment we are lacking a drummer but recruited a second guitarist a year ago. So its Felix and Tobias on the guitar, Anselm still plays bass and I do the vocals. I usually say we play nothing less than Death Metal. Our lyrics solely deal with war while the music is often described as a mixture of Death Metal Classics like Dismember and Bolt Thrower.  


4. Scalpture    is  getting ready  to  release  the debut  cd "Panzerdoktrine"  through  Final  Gate Rec.  how  did you  all  come  in  contact  with this  great  label?

After we´ve published our EP Border Crossing on our own, we realised how stressful it is and how hard it is to make your mark. We tried to find a label which publishes our first full length album and we contacted a bunch. Fortunately Marco from Final Gate liked the EP we sent him and offered us to publish “Panzerdoktrin” via his Label.  


5.Does  the  whole  band  take  part  in  the  writing  process  or  does  one  member  usually  write  everything?

Actually Felix had been the musical mastermind behind Scalpture and composed all the music. Since we recruited Tobias we've got two great musicians who do the song writing and they interact perfectly. From the beginning on I was responsible for the lyrics. I believe I can perform better if I have written the lyrics on my own and the others were never really interested in texting anyway.


6.Thorsten    you  handle  the  vocals  for the  band  at  what  age  did you  start  growling  and screaming?Is  their  anything  special  you  do  to  keep your  voice and  throat  healthy?

I think my adolescent self started “singing” along with his favourite Death Metal bands in his room.    I´ve reduced smoking in the last few years as well as I try to practice quiet often, especially when I'm driving or showering.


7.Who  are  some  of your  influences  and  favorite  vocalists? Besides  the  vocals  do  you  currently  play  any  other  instruments  if  yes  what  do you  play?

I admire a lot of singers. Some because of ther "special" voice, for the authenticy, some for their great lyrics, some more for who they are. From Kurt Cobain or Lemmy to Karl Willets, Martin van Drunen or Chris Reifert there are plenty. I think as an inspiration for Scalpture especially those singers and bands play a part that play comparable music or have compareable lyrics.
Besides singing I sometimes TRY to play the guitar. This is more are spontanious outburst of pure overconfidence because I absolutely suck. My girlfriend would agree a 100%.


8. Thorsten  I  assume  you  write  the  lyrics  for the  band and  I  noticed  the  lyrics  are  based  on  war  when  did you  and the  band  start  writing  about  war? Are  their  any  wars  in  particular  that you  write  about?

Since we've started, for me war was the only topic I could write about. I have always been interested in history and wars. I study history by now. My “inspiration” comes from all modern conflicts. The song “Keiler” (boar) is the name of an actual German mine flail, while “Dam Busters” is dealing with the 617th English bomber squadron in WWII. Most of our songs deal with war on a more abstract level. Just to give some examples “Not a Single Step Back” is loosely connected to the Red Army's creed in Stalingrad, though the text does not really give a hint as it is the same with “No Rest, No Sleep, No Peace” which is connected to the Wehrmacht's practice giving some tank crews a preform of Crystal Meth called “Panzerschokolade” (tank chocolate). “Lead From Ahead” deals with the strategy of troop leading in the German  and other armies, while “Flattened Horizons” is actually an ode to tank howitzers in general.
However, our next Album is planned to be a concept album about a certain conflict...


9.Besides studying  and  reading  about  the  past  wars  are their  any  other  times in  history you  and the  other  members  of the  band  like to  read and  study?

Well actually we do not talk so much about history with each others. The texting is my job, which I do alone. For Panzerdoktrin of course I was interested in the tank-topic. So I was interested in period between the Second World War 'till today. Because of my studies I started reading a lot of individual testimonies from soldiers who fought in WW I. Especially the wartime experience and its influence on the soldiers and society are the main focus. Before that I studied on the pre modern  Denmark.


10.Does  Scalpture  get to play  "live"   very  often? Who  are  some  bands  you  all  have  gotten to  share the  stage  with?

Haha you are touching us on the raw buddy! We haven't hit the stage for more than one and a half year now. First I studied abroad in Sweden for a semester, then we entered the studio, then we parted from our drummer. We haven't found a new one yet but we plan to get back on stage in 2017 as soon as possible!
We mostly played underground shows with other underground bands so far. Just to mention our friends from Evoked here. Once we shared stage with Deserted Fear which was a great lesson!


11.Are  their  any  shows  or  tours   planned  for  2017  if  yes   where  will  the  band  be  touring  and  playing?

Right now there are no officially announced shows but we are planning a lot at the moment. If all works out we'll share stage with Evoked and Carnal Tomb from time to time.


12.When  not  working   on  band  business  or  new  music   what  do you  enjoy  doing  in your  free  time?

Haha playing the guitar!  

13.Scalpture  comes  out  of  the  German  old-school  death metal  scene  what  is your  opinion  of  Germany's  metal scene?

Germany's metal scene in general is pretty big. During the summer time you`ll find a whole lot of small and big festivals all over the country every weekend. There are hundreds of concerts every weekend you could actually visit. Like with every big scene the vast majority are pretentious idiots, I don't have much in common with and I don't like them. Still there are really great guys and girls and really cool bands making it worth being a part of the scene.  


14.Who   are  some  of your  all-time  favorite   German  bands  and  are  their  any  new  bands you  feel  the  readers  should  watch  out  for?

There are a few I think. No matter how often I put on Sodom, Accept or Morgoth, they just don't get bad! If you ask me for more unpopular bands people really should watch out for...phew...there are!
First of all there are our home town friends from Wifebeater playing pure scum fuck rock n' roll!Then there are our friends from Evoked playing great real old school Death Metal an just got signed by FDA Records! There is Vulture (speed metal) as they will release their debute album in 2017. I like Cryptic Brood from Wolfsburg playing ugly doomy Death Metal and Carnal Tomb from Berlin and Deathrite from Dresden. Weak Aside plays great war Death Metal as well as Atomwinter.
Fuck there are so many god damn good underground bands! Listen to Bastard Grave from Sweden or Division Speed from Leipzig. I could do this for hours....


15.Besides   bands  are  their  any  good  labels  or  distro's you  could  recommend  to  the  readers? What  about  good fan  or  web-zines  you  like   to  read?


Haha of course our label Final Gate Records! There are some other good German labels like FDA Records, which simply has had a knack for picking awesome bands during the last few years as well as the rather new Testimony Records. I am actually not so much an internet guy and usually do not read any fan- or web-zines. Check out Timon Kokott Artwork who painted our Cover Artwork and our designed our shirts for instance.


16.Thank  you  Thorsten   for  taking  the  time  to  fill this   interview  out  do  you  have  any  final  words  for the  readers?

Thank you as well. I am not so much a guy for the famous last words though I like to have the final say. It might appear elegant to end with a quote. Some famous last words from Mr. Bukowski:

“‘I think I need a drink.’ ‘Almost everybody does only they don’t know it.’”

                                                            Band    Contact
                                                          https://scalpture.bandcamp.com/
                                                        http://scalpture.bigcartel.com/
                                                            Label  Contact
                                                       http://www.finalgaterecords.com/
                                                     https://plus.google.com/104526369613449818726